BAYWATCH (2017)



BAYWATCH (2017)

To be honest when I streamed this on "platform whatever", I had zero idea of what to expect. This isn’t something I would have run out to the theaters to see, as much as I like Dwayne Johnson (who plays Mitch Buchannon ). Not to mention how much I like Alexandra Daddario (who plays Summer Quinn), even though the last movie I reviewed with her in it and the role she played,  sucked (BURYING THE EX). Still, this ended up getting queued up, and off to the races we go. Quick note, this isn’t the first time Daddario and Johnson have been in a movie together. She actually played his daughter in SAN ANDREAS.

The premise wraps around a new guy (Matt Brody played by Zac Efron) who basically gets inserted into the Baywatch crew by the movie's villain, only he doesn’t know he’s being used. Of course, Mitch isn’t hot about the idea, but after a few horrific mistakes, they decide he’s just terrible enough to try and save lives on the beach. Apparently, the Baywatch team doesn’t just patrol the beach for dudes stealing stuff with trick coolers and people drowning, but they also try and foil rich people’s childhood dreams of infesting their beach with drugs.

Overall the whole movie is ridiculous and over the top in its comedic efforts which is what about this thing threw me for a loop. I just wasn’t expecting that. For the first 30 minutes or so are pretty great and even the crude humor seems to have its place. Everything after that feels kind of lost, the bits of love story with Summer’s character are lame and it just never goes anywhere. The relationship between CJ (played by Kelly Rohrbach) and Ronnie (played by Jon Bass) seems not only crammed in but about as unlikely as my house getting painted purple by aliens tomorrow. 

For me, the humor almost saves this movie, but I can’t see myself watching it again. It lands in the solid 3 out of 7 zone. I saw what they were trying to do, but we needed them to write a whole movie. It also was a bit too crass in parts for my taste, but that isn’t the reason for the low score.



Please check out the link below by clicking on the picture. Because no one should die buttonless. Until next time.




Comments