ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS (2016)



It’s been awhile since my last review, but I checked this one out last night. I loved ALICE IN WONDERLAND to the point where I actually bought a HDTV just because of how great that movie looked on it at the store.  Fast forward to this adventure which centers around a now more confident and daring but slightly more cynical Alice, and her quest to help the Mad Hatter. Despite being “mad” before apparently he is now both mad and depressed (which is like the 3rd worst emotional combination ever). The White Queen (again played by Anne Hathaway) has a lot more to do in this one and the dynamics between here and – well I won’t spoil it, but it’s pretty great. This one really pulls at the heart strings and by the end I felt this movie accomplished a lot of things that were worthy of a much better box office.

Unfortunately the movie does have some legitimate timeline and continuity issues. Unlike TERMINATOR  GENISYS  which made perfect sense, but confused audience with low tolerances for dialog. Maybe the writers felt they could get away with it, or it’s possible I missed something (no actually that isn’t in this case). One of them is so unforgivable plot wise, that it was one of the first things I walked out of the theater thinking “wow that was ….what? Wait a minute?” If you watch much DR. WHO or follow FLASH at all you will see the obvious problem. Others are more subtle but still just odd. The movie is time-centric but does have a few great rules that I wish a lot of other time travel shows and movies would follow. Visually it’s probably too late to see this in 3D (unless you have a 3D tv) but wow. Overall the return to Wonderland was a fun ride, but I can now see why it rode in and out of theaters like Players Club. Gotta give this one a 4 out of 7. I will give the producers credit for the effort and the fact that they got the entire cast from the first one to return.

Comments