JURASSIC WORLD : THE FALLEN KINGDOM (2018)




JURASSIC WORLD : THE FALLEN KINGDOM (2018)

Well let me just start with a massive disclaimer on this one. I freakin love Chris Pratt and I think he’s got more balls than just about anyone in Hollywood. I saw this one just a few hours ago, so my thoughts on this one are just right there in my head fighting to get typed out.

Owen (Chris Pratt) is asked by Claire(Bryce Dallas Howard whom I actually like in just about everything she does) to go back to Isla Nublar to save the dinosaurs from a massive volcano that is thought to have the power to wipe out all life on the island. Well at least the life that can’t swim. Owen and Claire take a few dino lovers,  Zia, and Franklin to the island because Zia is a Dr. and Franklin is basically Claire’s version of Felicity Smoak. On top of that for some reason Franklin’s dad thinks sending a kid scared out of his damn mind to an island full of stuff that kills seasoned soldiers and mercenaries for breakfast, is a great way to get “experience”.

Claire is a LOT more of a bad a-s in this one and that is exciting to see. Unlike the last installment now we are dealing with some of the world’s richest people who want to exploit the dinosaurs only for reasons that even Jurassic Park founder Hammond, never envisioned. Somehow Blue (the main raptor from JURRASIC WORLD) is a huge key in this one, but even the explanation as to why she is so valuable to those trying to exploit the dinosaurs is a bit shaky. There are also some other elements plot wise that make this movie feel a little bit “Empire Strikes Back” in the sense that the action is largely up front and the serious parts are all near the tail end. That’s right, I said it. Empire Strikes Back is a backwards movie plot wise which is why for me, it’s not even in the top 3 STAR WARS movies. Oh wait, I was reviewing this movie though. Overall JURASSIC WORLD : THE FALLEN KINGDOM doesn’t live up to its predecessor, but it’s a dynamic and very compelling movie for what I think a lot of people thought would be a big dumb action flick.

I will say that this installment does NOT have as much of a horror element as some reviews might lead you to believe and there really isn’t much different in this one content wise from what we have seen in every other movie in the series. What is different is the ending, and as a writer, I am sure the planned next installment will come with its opportunities and challenges.  For a movie that truly lives up to its title, I have to give this one a solid 5 out of 7.



Comments