RESIDENT EVIL : THE FINAL CHAPTER (2017)


RESIDENT EVIL : THE FINAL CHAPTER (2017)


Back in 1984 FRIDAY THE 13TH THE FINAL CHAPTER came out. It was the 4th installment of a now 12 movie franchise with some talks of yet another one. I say this just to illustrate that money talks and calling something the “last” of something means almost nothing.  I have no delusions that the RESIDENT EVIL movies will get to be a 12 movie series, but RESIDENT EVIL : THE FINAL CHAPTER did $307 million at the box office. For those keeping score at home, that is $69 million more than the last installment. It’s also the best box office haul for the entire series. I get that this series has taken a lot of heat over the years for not following the video game story line. Having said that I am a lot more excited about the movies than I am the video games. Shot mostly in the dark it has a similar cinematic tone to EXTINCTION. In this installment Alice has to figure out what the heck is going on with Umbrella and to do that she has to go all the way back to where it all began. 
This is all I will give away here, but what I can say is that this movie is all that I could have hoped for with a story trying to wrap things up. 

We finally get a ton of answers, as to the “what” and “why” behind Umbrella’s incredible dissonance toward humanity. THE FINAL CHAPTER is loaded with pretty freakin awesome creatures spawned by the T-Virus and we also get to see Claire again, which is nice, but unfortunately not what I think a lot of fans may have been expecting in regards to the character pallet. Even as a mega fan of the series, it’s extremely difficult to set aside all of the casting issues in this series and this one is one of the biggest offenders in that area. THE FINAL CHAPTER in spite of its lacking connections to the last film is an engaging tell all pay off for the movies fans. I give it a 4 out of 7 for continuity issues and the films first 30 minutes for taking the easy way out. 


Comments