COWBOYS & ALIENS (2011)



COWBOYS & ALIENS (2011)

Tagline: First contact. Last stand.

(Action, Western, Aliens) [PG-13]

Look here, Pa. He's got iron on his wrist. He's been shot. Could be done broke out of Hoosegow. Might be worth bounty.

After seeing the previews for this I had to run out and see it, but never got around to reviewing it. Recently Jenn and I checked this out on Amazon, I want to say? I can’t remember, it was one of those streaming services.

The premise of this one is that you have a typical western town where a-holes are basically running around and the sheriff is doing almost nothing about it. A mysterious stranger comes into town and basically isn’t having any of it. Oh and of course, “aliens”. After the town is basically shot to hell, and half the town is dragged off or killed by alien scout ships, it’s time for Han Solo and 007 to go handle business. Oddly no one in this town is even remotely shocked that they are dealing with aliens, cowboys and Indians are just simply that bada-s.

What ends up being super helpful is that Jake Lonergan (played by Daniel Craig) can’t remember anything, but he does figure out how to use a handy weapon he stole from one of the spaceships when….  That is as far as I will go with the plot other than the fact that Ella Swenson has some secrets of her own, and well you are just gonna have to deal with that when you watch the movie. Harrison Ford is also in this as a complex character who basically runs the town, and adds depth to the film. Some say the characters are flat, but apparently, those reviewers have never watched a Western in their lives.

I know I have issues. I am a critic that repeatedly points out the flaws in critics. After the first viewing, I wasn’t saying “Everyone drop your stuff and run to the theaters” but I am pretty shocked this thing didn’t just crush its budget at the box office and set the stage for a possible follow-up. Instead, it flopped and most people hated it. I actually didn’t. I pretty much loved this damn thing and in spite of Daniel Craig’s performance being just a bit less personable than I would have liked. The cinematography was excellent, the aliens looked freakin incredible and the overall concept worked. If you were expecting a B-movie or a comedy, this wasn’t for you. Apparently, Harrison Ford didn’t love it though…if you look up the cast on IMDb he isn’t even on the first page.

I give this one a 5 out of 7. It does have its slow-moving parts and I think dialog could have replaced some of the flashbacks, but it’s hardly the disaster some claim.


Please check out the link below by clicking on the picture. Because no one should die buttonless. Until next time.



Comments